Sunday, August 16, 2009

Challah at ya boy!

I woke up pretty late today, and immediately I was excited because I knew what I was going to make for breakfast. Before work on Friday I stopped by my favorite bakery in Seattle: Upper Crust Bakery My friend Jacqui promised to save me a loaf and she sure did, I think she left a note on it that said "Law the Ninja" that amused the cashier who grabbed it for me up front.(She calls me that cuz sometimes she's baking in the back and she doesn't see me come in for my morning Americano and pastry, hehe.)

So, yeah a great way to cap off a weekend on a Sunday morning is french toast made with challah. For the four 3/4 in. slices of challah, I used 3 jumbo eggs, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar, and 1/4 cup of whole milk. It made a perfect perfect french toast, the best I've ever made at home. Prior to this I was only using milk and eggs, the vanilla and sugar really help make the toast richer. A half pat of butter on top of each slice before being topped off with some fairly expensive Trader Joe's Canadian Grade B maple syrup. I totally forgot to sprinkle some powdered sugar on top though. hmph.



Challah has to be the perfect french toast bread because it is the perfect texture and already is pretty tasty by itself. Yum. Funny thing is that this is probably only the third or fourth time that I've ever mixed a sweet breakfast item with some bacon. I've always bee real particular with that kind of thing haha. So nuked some Oscar Meyer bacon to give me a little saltiness.

All in all, a perfect breakfast and one that I will definitely make again and if I'm not lazy I will throw the bacon in a cast iron skillet for ultimate deliciousness.

So I have half a loaf of Challah left and wondering what I should do with it, if I'm feeling extra motivated I'm sure that I could wake up earlier tomorrow morning and make it again. French toast really is a fast and delicious breakfast, that keeps you pretty full for a while. Now, to figure out what else to do today.

No comments: